Head of Category – Horticulture
£80,000 - £110,000 + Car + Bonus
Southampton, Store Support Office
We believe anyone can improve their home to make life better. From our Southampton Store Support office (SSO) we equip our stores, our people, and our whole business with everything it takes to help our millions of customers create a home they’ll love. Join us as Head of Horticulture and you’ll be a big part of this.
You'll be responsible for developing the 2 to 3-year trading strategy within our growing Horticulture category, delivering sales and margin growth to gain market share by using analysis to identify customer needs. Reporting to our Category Director for Outdoor, you'll work alongside our colleagues in Kingfisher Group to develop high level strategic plans that drive business performance and identify opportunities to optimise sales.
• Work in partnership with Kingfisher Group and our Supply Chain team to create a compelling ‘own’ label range hierarchy that meets the needs of our customers and delivers innovation and growth
• Drive local range review activity where appropriate to meet the need of the B&Q customer and complement the own label ranges
• Creation of business cases and validation of forecasts for new ranges ensuring budgets are reviewed in line with Category targets
• Creation of pricing hierarchy to drive business performance across the category
• Work with the Commercial Buying teams to identify, negotiate, influence, and deliver incremental revenue including additional funding for promotional activity and rebates
• Manage and deliver KPIs including sales, margin, stock, stock turn and cover, mark-down, and wastage effectively and understand the drivers of the P&L and how to influence this and communicate to team
• Work with Supply Chain to support a robust stock and supply chain plan that is customer focused and supports opportunities to optimise sales
• Identify opportunities to locally buy free stock from the open market to take advantage of short-term trading opportunities created by market conditions
• Responsibility for the creation of the trading plan ensuring this remains agile and responds to market conditions
• Conduct regular store and competitor visits to increase awareness and inform/update trading plan ensuring its customer focussed
• Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key horticultural suppliers and industry bodies
• Manage budget for category sales and resource
• Responsible for driving high performance and engagement within team and role modelling Kingfisher values
• Responsible for setting and maintaining the quality of live plants going into B&Q in partnership with the QA and O&S teams
Retail trading experience is a must in this role, and ideally, you’ll have a proven track record in a Home Improvement Outdoor category, Grocery fresh produce or Multiple Garden Centre operations. We’re looking for experience of managing and delivering a commercially successful, complex, and business critical range change programme as well as experience in developing and implementing category strategies that have delivered sales performance and grown market share. You’ll be commercially focussed with the ability to understand financial insights and translate these into key business deliverables, and you’ll have the ability to lead, develop and coach commercial category teams to drive high performance.
In return you’ll have the autonomy to make a difference and to shape the future of a critical category.
As well as a competitive salary, our benefits package includes an award-winning pension scheme, Bonus, ShareSave options, 6.6 weeks holiday, payroll giving, an Employee Assistance Programme, shopping discounts, colleague wellbeing benefits and lots more!